JV and Freshman Players Find Success at District Tennis

Photo by Anika Srinath
Truman Le ’19 and Jake Imperial ’19 post with their first place medals after winning the boys’ doubles division.

As a strong finish to their season, the JV and freshman tennis teams swept almost all divisions at the 13-6A District Championship tournament on Wednesday, April 12. The Warriors brought home eight of the ten first place titles for an immense victory.

“I’m extremely proud of the way they played and how well they represented Westwood,” assistant coach Daniel Veve said. “The players have learned to understand the value of hard work during practice.”

The team continues their training regime throughout the entire year save a quick offseason between the fall and the spring. These practices allowed athletes to improve their game to eventually secure individual district titles.

“I feel like I improved a lot throughout the season,” Grace Chen ‘20 said. “We practice every 8th block, and we do a lot of fun drills that are fun but they do things that we need improvement on.”

The district tournament consisted of both seasoned players and new duos. Freshmen Karan Rane and Fernanda Vasquez were paired together for the first time all season, and Rane even endured a wrist injury yet still managed to finish on top. The full results from the competition are listed below.

JV Team

1st Place Girls’ Singles: Carolien Van Heemskerck ‘19

1st Place Boys’ Singles: Gokul Narayanan ‘20

1st Place Girls’ Doubles: Melis Bayrak ‘17 and Daria Monleon ‘18

2nd Place Girls’ Doubles: Anika Srinath ‘19 and Yutika Raina ‘19

3rd Place Girls’ Doubles: Amie Nguyen ‘18 and Emily Lai ‘18

1st Place Boys’ Doubles: Jake Imperial ‘19 and Truman Le ‘19

Freshman Team

2nd Place Girls’ Singles: Mihika Birmiwal ‘20

3rd Place Girls’ Singles: Kinjal Khatri ‘20

1st Place Boys’ Singles: Eric Wang ‘20

1st Place Girls’ Doubles: Grace Chen ‘20 and Emily Peng ‘20

1st Place Boys’ Doubles: Dylan Dong ‘20 and Shivesh Razdan ‘20

1st Place Mixed Doubles: Fernanda Vasquez ‘20 and Karan Rane ‘20

The freshman and JV players conclude their season with this tournament, as there are no further competitions. However the varsity tennis team will battle for individual titles at the Regional II Championship on April 16 through April 19.