Students Explore the World of Books During Teen Read Week

A student references a picture of Percy Jackson symbols to make a necklace.

Teen Read Week was held on Oct. 11-14, with a variety of activities offered on the library patio during all lunches. With activities ranging from playing book-related Kahoot! games to making Harry Potter wands and T-shirt tote bags, Teen Read Week encouraged students to explore the world of books.

Those who participated also had the chance to enter the library’s drawing for prizes, which consisted of ‘swag-bags’ containing books, as well as gift cards for bookstores and other small restaurants.

“Teen Read Week is just supposed to be a fun week that encourages kids to read, gets kids into the library and participating in a variety of things,” librarian Ms. Lauren Kluck said. “I’ve been happy with the participation. I looked forward to the making the wands the most I was especially excited that I found an example one where you could put a core in there, so people could choose their core and then decide it however they wanted.”

Aside from making Harry Potter wands, students were offered pages from book-themed coloring books.

An example of students' Harry Potter wands.
An example of students’ Harry Potter wands.

“I had a lot of fun with the coloring sheets, because they have coloring sheets based off titles of books, and some things like that, and it’s really interesting to put your own spin on it,” Grace Green ‘20 said.

Through the various activities offered during Teen Read Week, the library was able to promote active reading with students.

“Reading teaches empathy, which is seeing different perspectives in the world,” Kate Lee ‘19 said. “I think that’s very important and there’s no better resource to use than reading.”