Q&A with KyAnh Truong ’21

Q: When did you start swimming?

A: I started summer league when I was six and then I started swimming competitive year round swimming when I was 11 or 12

Q: What’s your best stroke?

A: Probably butterfly and freestyle.

Q: Did you feel any pressure coming onto the swim team?

A: Yes, I really was excited. There was a lot of pressure since I didn’t know what to expect and I thought everyone would hate me.

Q: Can you tell us about swimming outside of high school?

A: It’s really fun. I’m in WHAC, Western Hills Athletics Club, I changed from TXLA. The coach put a lot of pressure on me and she wasn’t a reasonable coach and the WHAC coaches put their heart into

Q: What is the main difference between high school swimming and club swim?

A: Practices are harder at club swim. There’s more sprinting and more meets. I don’t know that many people at my club swim team yet since I just moved there so I look forward to high school swimming more for right now since I know more people.

Q: Is it hard balancing school work and swimming?

A: It’s hard mainly because I have to do club and high school swim. I just get home, do a little homework, go to club, go home, and try not to sleep too late because I have to wake up early the next morning for high school.

Q: What are you looking forward to most this year on the swim team?

A: Just to enjoy the whole thing and to get to know everyone better.

Q: Can you tell us the best advice you’ve gotten from your coaches?

A: He always tells me to be more confident and not be too negative about myself because I always freak out before my races. And he just tells me that I know how to do this and I have the talent already I just have to do it because I can do it.

Q: Who would you say inspires you the most in swimming?

A: Emma Wheal, she’s my teammate at WHAC. She’s kind of the leader and she pushes me during practice and motivates me at meets. She always comforts me when there’s a bad race.

Q: The swim season has just started, but there have already been many events, what has been your favorite so far?

A: The retreat. The team building activities were really fun and I got to talk to people more, I got to know some people better. You had to work together with your big sisters. It was nice to try things I’ve never done before. It’s nice to have someone to depend on and they depend on you.