NHS Makes Changes to Tutoring System

NHS Makes Changes to Tutoring System

National Honor Society (NHS) members are getting ready to start their tutoring program for the 2017-2018 school year, but with one major change. In the past years, students and teachers received a list of tutors from NHS in case they needed help in one of their classes. This year, if students want a tutor, they will be required to fill out a Google form. The tutoring coordinator, Mayurika Gupta ‘18, will match each student with a tutor.

“Last year for tutoring, we gave the teachers a list of all the tutors with their email addresses and every single subject that they were tutoring,” Gupta said. “[It] looked really messy and really confusing. Because of that, whenever a tutee would email a tutor they might not respond.”

In addition to this change, tutoring sessions will take place in the library either before, during, or after school on Mondays through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. or on Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. If students do not have a tutor from NHS, tutoring will be in the teacher’s classroom with the supervision of the teacher. Students would need to make arrangements with the teacher in this case unless they want to come in during regular tutoring hours with the teacher.

“We are going to have a little more control,” NHS sponsor Ms. Heidi Klein, said. “We know who said there was going to be tutoring and if they don’t show up then we’ll go after them.”

With this new change, it is easier for the coordinator, Gupta, to keep track with everyone’s schedules and appointments. In the old system, the calendar was disorganized and many students didn’t reply to emails, which is what the new system is trying to change. Other than keeping up with the tutors’ times, Gupta also has to verify that a tutor has tutored a certain student for a certain amount of time.

“We have the Google form that everyone can fill out and I connect them with a tutor so that way also the tutors all get a chance to have the opportunity to tutor someone,” Gupta said. “Instead of last year some tutors weren’t contacted at all so at least this year they’ll have a chance.”