Westwood Horizon

Race for the Cure Raises Money and Awareness for Breast Cancer

By Sarah Wang, Yearbook Designer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

The racers wait in line for the race to begin.

The annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure occurred on Sunday, Sept. 24, in which hundreds of people ran a 5K marathon to raise awareness for breast cancer. Along with the race itself, the event also included a survivor’s path, a Kids for Cure area, and various booths promoting their brand.

The SunDancers, Warrior Pride, and cheerleaders came to the race to cheer on the survivors as they walked through the survivor’s path. The survivors also commemorated their fight by putting their handprints on a poster.

“It was so inspirational to see the people who survived breast cancer run through and stick their hands on the wall,” Olivia Steiret ‘20 said, “and I got to be there and high-five them as they ran through.”

The Kids for Cure area included complimentary snacks such as cotton candy and pink milk, a bracelet making booth, face painting, games, as well as a petting zoo filled with various animals such as turtles, bunnies, and baby ducks.  

“The petting zoo was really fun,” Carrie Buckley ‘20 said. “I went in there for a little bit and everyone wanted to pet all the animals.”

The race has raised $226,981.05 of their $300,000 goal. Out of the total amount of money raised from the race, 75 percent is spent toward programs such as screening, diagnosis, treatment services, accurate breast cancer information, and patient navigation program. The other 25 percent of the money is used for early detection technologies, a deeper understanding of metastasis breast cancer, and how to treat and prevent recurrence.

“So many women have to live with breast cancer,” Nikita Karthik ‘20 said, “and each and every one of them is so strong and we need to make sure they know their efforts are heard and appreciated.”

About one in eight women in America will be diagnosed with breast cancer. Every 19 seconds, breast cancer is diagnosed in a woman. Every 60 seconds, someone in the world dies from it. To donate to the Susan G. Komen Foundation, follow this link.

About the Writer
Sarah Wang, Yearbook Designer
Hi! This is my first year on Student Press. My photography account is @misleadinconcepts if you want to go check that out and give me a follow :).
Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.