The student news site of Westwood High School.

Westwood Horizon

StuCo Hosts SPED Halloween Party

Sathvik Allala, Reporter

Sofia Goff '20 and Jerry Hernandez '21 paint the pumpkin together.

To celebrate Halloween, Student Council volunteers organized a spooky party for students from Special Education classes (SPED) on Tuesday, Oct. 31.

“A lot of my friends ended up going so it gave me a chance to hang out, which we don’t normally do because [we have] classes,” Anaita Merchant ‘20 said.

During the party, the students were able to indulge in Halloween-themed food while conversing with each other.

“By accessing volunteer donations, we were able to garner a lot of snacks such as chips, soda, [and] cookies,” Frank Lai ‘20  said. “Overall, everyone seemed really happy with the food there. The food was great and the environment was also awesome.”

In addition to food, the celebration included several activities, such as pumpkin painting for both SPED students and volunteers.

“[Pumpkin painting was] just a creative outlet for students to have fun painting,” Alice Zhang ‘20 said. “Rather than carving, which would be messy and [considerably] more difficult, we decided painting is still fun and very much aligned with the Halloween spirit.”

The fun party offered a competitive feel with the Guess How Much Candy Corn is in the Jar Contest and pumpkin painting contests.The festivities also offered a unique opportunity for students to interact and form friendships with SPED students.

“Often at school I’m busy with academics and other extracurricular activities, so I don’t always interact with the [SPED] kids,” Lai said. “I think this was a good opportunity for me to talk to them because I was able to learn how to communicate with people who aren’t always similar to me. This taught me patience and [gave me] open-mindedness about interacting with people who aren’t able to respond instantly.”

After the success of the Halloween Social, Student Council is considering to hold more socials and activities including SPED students.

“We definitely had a great turnout and it was so fun to see all of the kids hang out and play,” Khadeeja Shah ‘19 said. “I’m not sure if we have anything planned right now, but I think we would definitely be open to [having events with SPED students] in the future.”