Varsity Mens Soccer Present District Champions Trophy After Viper 1-0 Win


Amy Simon

Jorge Pena ’24 settles the ball and looks forward to dribble. Pena later passed to a player on the side to open up space.

Jayant Bettadpur, Reporter

As the clock hit zero, fans and players alike stormed the field as the varsity men’s soccer team took down the Vandegrift Vipers on Friday, March 17, with a score of 1-0. The game was intense throughout, with several fouls and chances for both teams. 

The Vipers received kickoff and immediately put plenty of shots on goal, most drifting wide or over the crossbar. The Warriors immediately responded with high-tempo passing, switching the field and creating opportunities on goal. After a series of stops from Vandegrift, the Warriors shifted the ball back into their backline, keeping possession away from the Vipers and occasionally playing a long ball to the wingers. However, the Vipers won the ball in midfield and sent a shot on goal, forcing a save from Suhaas Patil ‘23

The second half opened with a Warriors kick, and the intensity started where it left off. Both teams became more aggressive with several fouls, with players on both teams given yellow cards. Then, after a ball slipped in behind, Kawan Borba ‘23 found himself through on goal, then being taken down for a free kick by Vandegrift’s goalkeeper, who was shown a red card. However, after a conversation with the referees, the Warriors were awarded a penalty instead, and the Viper’s keeper was shown only a yellow. Stepping up to the spot, Patrick Cotey ‘23 drilled the ball into the bottom left corner, running into the stands to celebrate. 

The rest of the game was filled with many goal scoring opportunities, with the Viper’s looking to come back into the game. Shots by Vandegrift players were met by blocks and strong clearances that ended up in the stands. As time winded down, Vandegrift weren’t able to get any more shots, and the game ended 1-0, with players embracing each other and taking pictures with the trophy, celebrating their district champion title. 

The Warriors played the Dripping Springs Tigers at the Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex for the bi-district playoff game on Thursday, March 23, and lost 5-4 in penalty kicks.