Julian Miller ‘18 Celebrates A Magical Night at Prom

• Julian Miller ’18 poses with his friend Colton Vorpahl ’20 at his first prom.

• Caitlin Hernandez ’18 and Zoë-Marie Johnson ’18 pose for their final prom.

• Caitlin Hernandez ’18 and Zoë-Marie Johnson ’18 kiss under the sunset.

• Julian Miller ’18 poses with Zoë-Marie Johnson ’18 and Caitlin Hernandez ’18 after dancing.

• Julian Miller ’18 stands with Zoë-Marie Johnson ’18 at prom.

It’s like a scene from a movie.

The godmothers, Caitlin Hernandez ‘18 and Zoë-Marie Johnson ‘18, watched over the gym in their luxurious outfits of T-shirts and jeans. Seeing how much Julian Miller ‘18 wanted to go prom, they decided to give him the modern version of a pumpkin carriage and glass slippers. With a simple spell, they changed his night and helped to let him live a real enchanted fairytale.

Although the couple gave Miller a limo and a ticket for prom, they didn’t have an excess of money or time. Hernandez works regularly at Dunkin’ Donuts to save money for college and her family, while Johnson babysits. However hard they work, both girls still find time to enjoy life by spending time with each other and have a positive attitude that helps them stay determined.

“If I have to pick one [favorite thing about Hernandez], it would definitely be her smile,” Johnson said. “It just makes me happy and it’s just so bright and happy. She just makes my day, everyday. She’s always very hardworking and she’s very efficient, and I’m really proud of her.”

Going through the routine of high school, they never expected the opportunity of a free limo to come around, but when a nearby dentistry held a contest for seniors, the couple entered. Although they did not expect anything, they won, saving them the extra fee of a ride to prom. But instead of enjoying the prize themselves, they gave it to Miller so he could enjoy the special night of his senior year. When Miller’s mother heard the news, she started crying, overcome by the students’ generosity.

“We’re buying Julian’s ticket, and we’re paying for dinner, and getting him a boutonniere; the whole thing,” Johnson said. “And so, reaching out to Julian and helping him out is just really, really exciting and makes me very, very happy.”

Helping a fellow student out with a landmark high school moment, like prom, means a lot before Johnson and Hernandez leave Westwood.

“Senior year is a big year and prom is one of the most important things,” Hernandez said. “I moved here two years ago and I didn’t have a lot of friends, and now that I do have friends here, it’s one last goodbye before we leave. Westwood is a place where you always have to be on top of your A-game, but [I want] to make sure to not make any of that moment sad or depressing and be a kid before it’s too late.”

As Hernandez and Johnson reflect on their experiences as teenagers, they want to make sure future students continue to sustain an environment of care and love.

“[To future seniors], if you have the extra money to give, just share it wisely,” Hernandez said. “Know what your good morals are to people, and don’t be selfish when you can just give it out or save it up to make someone else feel special.”