Coach Amber Hall Joins Westwood Faculty

Coach Amber Hall

As a volleyball coach and a geometry teacher, Coach Amber Hall is one of the newest members on the teaching staff.

Coach Hall embarked on her teaching journey in her sophomore year of high school when she decided she wanted to teach her favorite subject, math. She then attended Whitworth University in Washington for two years, Feather River College in California for one year, and finished her schooling at California State University, East Bay playing volleyball with a degree of kinesiology. After moving to Texas, she was a parent professional and a geometry teacher at Stony Point High School before she transferred to Westwood.

“Westwood’s reputation precedes it,” Coach Hall said. “I was really excited when I heard about the opening. I quickly applied and when I had the interview, everyone I met was just so engaging and wonderful to talk to. From day one, I’ve felt really welcome like I was a part of a team.”

Coach Hall transferred to Westwood due to the abilities of the students, the welcoming feel, and the diversity of the school. Once school started, Coach Hall had to balance her busy schedule with games every week and plenty of papers to grade.

“It is a balancing act,” Coach Hall said. “Right now we are on the cusp of pre-season and I’ve really had to prioritize and make sure I have lots of lists of what I need to get done and when I need to get it done. It’s just a lot of pre-planning and not winging it on the spot.”

However, working without having fun is not one of Coach Hall’s philosophies. Coach Hall has one principal value that she believes belongs on the court as much as in the classroom.

“My number one rule in life is to have fun,” Coach Hall said. “If you’re not having fun then you’re not really going to put the effort and it’s not really worth your time. Working hard and striving for that goal is still going to be fun because you’re achieving what you’re setting yourself out to go get.”

Coach Hall is looking forward to a year with lots of volleyball games and math classes to teach. She is also excited about getting to know more students and faculty.  

“Being a coach and a teacher spreads my roots a lot farther,” Coach Hall said. “I’m looking forward to getting to know the students in my classrooms, my volleyball players, and the fans of volleyball. I’m also looking forward to getting to know more of the faculty.”

Coach Hall starts off volleyball’s district season this week and is looking forward to a great first year at Westwood.