Westwood Horizon

Student Organizations Commemorate 9/11

By Sathvik Allala, Social Media Editor

Sriram Srinivasan '21 folds the lowered flag.

ROTC students conducted a symbolic flag lowering ceremony on Tuesday, Sept. 11 in order to commemorate the anniversary of the tragic attack on the World Trade Centers and U.S. Pentagon.  The moving ceremony was well-attended by faculty members and students, helping to spread a sense of unity while remembering a terrible time.

“The ceremony was important so that we do not forget the tragic event that occurred on 9/11. The cadets joined up to attend the ceremony and the staff worked hard to make sure the event was professional,” Richard Nababan ‘19 said.

The event included marches led by the freshman and upperclassman ROTC troops, followed by a reflective student speech. To end the event, a moment of silence was observed while Sameer Jain ’19 played Taps.

“It takes a lot of effort from the cadets to make this event happen every year and to make it the best ceremony that it can be,” Cory Morrison ’20 said.

Though 9/11 was mainly covered by ROTC, the Pride and Patriotism Committee of Student Council also created a remembrance wall. To many students walking through the hallway, the vibrant American flag creation sparked a reflection of our country’s sad piece of history and compelled viewers to acknowledge our many lost heroes.

“Planning a remembrance wall in honor of 9/11 was a huge responsibility,” Pride and Patriotism Chair Edward Seo ’21 said. “It was first perplexing to create a wall for an event that had such a humongous impact on our country. However, in the end, I’m really happy with how the wall turned out.”

Through both events, the organizations hoped to spread a sense of reflection and American pride among the student body and remind them to never forget the atrocity of 9/11.

“I think 9/11 is an extremely important event for all Americans to remember,” Seo said, “as it shows that no matter what, we will pull through everything as a country together as one.”