Drugs Alcohol Safety and Health Committee Organizes Mirror Writing Event

To foster body positivity, the Drugs Alcohol Safety Committee (DASH) of Student Council held a mirror writing event on Monday, Sept. 10. The activity was especially fitting, as its message was in accordance with the Texas Association of Student Councils (TASC) State Project theme, Resolve to Rise. The theme this year aspires to address mental wellness and increase self-esteem.

Photo by Sathvik Allala
Volunteers decorate bathroom mirrors with positive and encouraging messages, with the hope of increasing school morale.

“Positive messages were written on mirrors in order to encourage students at the start of the school year. Many messages centered around ideas that boosted self-esteem and motivational quotes,” DASH Chair Brandon Qin ’20 said. “Mental health is a critical area of concern at school and we hope that the messages on the mirrors are a small step toward promoting a more positive and healthy school.”

During the event, volunteers visited each bathroom to write encouraging and positive messages. Each message varied stylistically and reflected different student perspectives.

“Members of Student Council [went] into Westwood’s bathrooms and write encouraging messages on all of the mirrors,” DASH Committee Chair Sandra Cong ’20 said. “We hoped that these messages would lift up students’ spirits and give them an encouraging boost to their day, assuring students that each and every one of them are amazing people who are going to turn out just fine.”

With this event, the DASH committee sought to alleviate social and academic stresses with a heartfelt and positive message.

[The event] was meaningful because it [demonstrated the] importance of boosting students’ self-esteem,” DASH Committee Chair Fatimah Shah ’21 said. “It also helps remind [the student body] to start the day off with positive thinking.”