Westwood Horizon

Childish Gambino Cancels ACL Performance

Eli Watson

Eli Watson

By Connor Cowman, Community & World Editor

On Sept. 25, 2018, less than two weeks before the beginning of Austin City Limits Festival, Donald Glover cancelled his performances at the festival. He was set to perform on the Sundays of weekends one and two. This was due to an injury Glover, known by his stage name Childish Gambino, suffered while playing a show at Dallas’ American Airlines Center on Sunday Sept. 23.

While on stage, Glover broke his foot, which allegedly aggravated a pre-existing injury. However, this is not the end of his last tour before he retires from music. Wolf + Rothstein, Gambino’s management company, took to Twitter on Sept. 26 to announce that his final tour was “postponed, not cancelled.”

Unfortunately for all the Austinites eager to see Gambino at ACL, however, the ACL festival is still continuing as planned even without Gambino’s presence. To try to soothe some of the disappointment around the whole situation, the ACL organizers moved Travis Scott, a popular Houston-born rapper, to Childish Gambino’s headliner spot.

Those who bought a one day, weekend two ticket for Saturday when Travis Scott was originally scheduled to play also have the option to exchange their ticket free of charge for a Sunday ticket by Oct. 2 at 11:59 p.m.

Furthermore, rapper Lil Wayne was added to the ACL lineup two days after Gambino cancelled his performance. He is set to perform on Saturday of weekend two.

About the Writer
Connor Cowman, Community & World Editor
As a senior at Westwood High School, this will be my second year on Student Press and my first year as World News Editor. Over the course of this year I hope to encourage those writing stories regarding world news to be as curious as possible, as efficient as can be, and as creative as their hearts desire. My goal is to report on important events happening all around the world and localize them to our small sphere here in Austin in order to be as relevant as possible. Most of all, however, I aim to provide the truth for the readers of this online paper.