Westwood Horizon

Varsity Tennis Secures District Title

By Claire Janson and Emily Lu

Varsity tennis dominated in the District 13-6A Team Tennis Championship on Wednesday, Oct. 10. The team won on the home courts with a score of 10-3 against Vandegrift High School, adding another district title to their legacy. As their first step on the road to State, the Warriors were determined for the win the entire time and ended with medals around their necks.

“[The] team was prepared and ready to go. [It was] fun to watch them bring their A-game,” head coach Travis Dalrymple said. “[The] atmosphere was electric and the ‘Sko Woods’ were loud.”

This was the first time the Warriors encountered the state-ranked Vipers in Districts, as Vandegrift only moved into District 13-6A this year. However the Warriors’ strategy was to stay sharp and to take care of business just as they had been doing in practice. Beginning with doubles, the Warriors took to the courts and immediately started to defeat the Vipers.

“My strategy was to stay really calm and to stay focused on the match and to try and stay emotionally stable,” Jessica Lu ‘21 said. “Winning was pretty exciting because I was able to contribute to the win against Vandegrift. I knew we had the ability, but we can’t say 100 percent confident because you never know how the matches are going to go.”

In girls’ doubles, the team took an early lead and stayed with it, finding success in all of their matches. Kiana Graham ‘20 easily won both her singles and doubles matches. She was aggressive and motivated to win, even with a few bumps in the road.

“I think I played okay,” Graham said. “I probably could’ve played better, but I still won the match so I guess I did enough. I look forward to doing a lot more team stuff together and getting to Regionals.”

With the Bi-District match coming up quickly and the thought of State on their minds, the Warriors are focused but looking forward to the path ahead. The team is currently ranked third in the state.

“I’m looking forward to all the rest of our matches; honestly, it’s like a fun experience from now on,” Gaurav Singh ‘20 said. “I think we have a really good chance at getting to State.”

About the Contributors
Claire Janson, Reporter
When not at school, you'll either find me sleeping, eating, playing tennis or doing homework :( I'm a freshman, and new to the staff. I joined for the friends and learning experience, and the fun as well. I've been writing forever, and I have a passion for improving on my writing as well. I move around a lot, but I'll normally be at the Westwood tennis courts after school.
Emily Lu, Editor-in-Chief
I've always been a storyteller, and I fell in love with journalism as an outlet to express my voice and share stories. When I'm not in the newsroom, you can find me pole vaulting, watching soccer, or most likely sleeping. Penguins are my spirit animal and I love anything and everything about them. 
Stephanie Shih, Managing Editor
This is my second-and-a-half year on staff as a sports writer and photographer (check out my pictures @photobystephie on Instagram!). I love both watching and playing all different sports! I swam for 10 years, including 1 year with Westwood. I will be starting my 7th year of lacrosse, and my first as a captain of the Westwood Varsity team. In my sparse free time, you can find me watching Friends or The Office.