Students Attend Annual Blacklight Pep Rally

• Breakdance club adds neon duct tape to their shirts to make them glow in the dark.

• Coach Dalrymple sings the Westwood alma mater while students throw their orange glowsticks at him.

• The SunDancers finish their dance with a formation.

• K-pop club members show off their dance moves.

• Hannah Simonsen ’21 performs with the cheerleaders.

• Cheerleaders perform their routine.

• Coach Dalrymple raises school spirt by asking the crowd to yell “Westwood”.

• Cheerleaders perform to the Westwood alma mater played by the band.

• Liam Benner ’21 plays with the drum line.

• The cheerleaders perform a move from their routine.

• Claire Fleming ’21 fixes Ryan Ejuma ’21 face paint

• SunDancers perform a move in their dance.

• Members of the varsity girls’ basketball team, seniors Makayla Coy and Oni Boodoo, walk back to the bleachers after talking about their game and upcoming season.

• Tennis team members get excited about their state win.

• The cheerleaders squat for their routine.

• A cheerleader hands out glow sticks as people arrive at the pep rally.

• Sarah Hendler ’19 poses before the SunDancers begin their performance.

• George Ruhlman ’20 dances during the K-Pop performance.

• The cheer team does a stunt during their performance.

• Claire Fleming ’21 jumps to throw a t-shirt to the crowd.

• The varsity tennis team is celebrated and cheered on as they show off their plaques.

• Sophomores Claire Fleming and Ryan Ejuma cheer before the pep rally begins.

The last pep rally of 2018 took place on Nov. 8 with a blacklight theme. Students from all grades gathered in the big gym to have some fun and cheer on the latest achievements of student organizations. The unique blacklight theme motivated students to attend and enjoy some time off from everyday classes. Glow sticks were used to light up the gym and energetic performances took place in the dark.

STUDENT BODY: “The pep rally was really amazing. I love the once-a-year blacklight theme and it’s really cool to watch all of the performers,” Anika Srivastava ‘21 said. “I think it’s a great way to celebrate accomplishments and have some fun.”

TENNIS: “Our tennis team went all out this year. We had 6 a.m. morning practices and I feel like we really worked the hardest we ever have because we knew that this was possible,” Sofia Kardonik ‘19 said. “As team we came together and made that [state] happen. With the amazing support from Coach [Dalrymple] who is amazing at giving us pep talks and preparing us for any of our toughest competitors. I think that the pep rally was very reflective of the school spirit that we have and this is a really momentous occasion for Westwood.”

SUNDANCERS: “I love blacklight! I think it was so much fun,” Kylie Chesebro ‘20 said. “It’s hard for performers [when people throw glow sticks] because we always trip on them, but it’s really fun to perform.”

CHEERLEADERS: “I think our performance went really well because we’ve been practicing for a while,” Claire Fleming ‘21 said. “It was really exciting that we did so well. Overall, it was a fun experience to perform.”

BAND: “As a band member, I enjoyed this [pep rally] a lot because we could make a lot of decorations with our glow sticks on our instruments, and it’s just really fun to play in the dark,” Elaine Chen ‘21 said. “I think this was a great way to finish marching season as well as celebrate many of the accomplishments of other organizations.”