Library Hosts NaNoWriMo Event

• A student begins to work on her writing.

• Ms. Kluck supervises the students.

• Ashlin Swasey ’22 writes her story.

• Participants of the marathon pose next to the countdown clock.

• Students type up their stories on computers.

• While eating pizza, the participants talk to each other.

• Rishi Rajiv ’22 holds his certificate for completing his story.

• Pizza is laid out for the students to enjoy while working.

• Students focus on finishing up their stories.

• Ms. Lauren Kluck gives words of encouragement to NaNoWriMo participants.

After a month of writing, students celebrated at the NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) party in the Great Hall on Friday, Nov. 30. Students that signed up contributed as much as they could throughout November and finished with an hour of writing and celebrating.

“I was very proud,” librarian Ms. Lauren Kluck said. “I had a lot of kids sign up and I was very surprised that a lot of them put in a good effort. This is a big accomplishment, especially when you are trying to do it in addition to school work and everything like that. It was a good first try with NaNoWriMo and I think we will continue it.”

Students came in as often as possible to write in the library. The total number of words that the group of 18 students who participated came out to be 123,979. With hard work and dedication, the group reached 46 percent of their goal and averaged 4,000 words per day.

“NaNoWriMo is quite fun because it sort of made me want to write,” Rishi Rajiv ‘22 said. “Before I didn’t really have an obligation to write. I wanted to reach that goal I set for myself. If we have this next year, I’m definitely doing it.”

At the party, pizza was provided for the students who participated. In addition to this, the students socialized and talked about the stories that had written over the past month. The participants were also given certificates for their participation.

“I think NaNoWriMo was a lot of fun,” Ashlin Swasey ‘22 said. “It helped join together my friends because we all wrote together. It really did set more than just an academic goal, but also a goal for myself outside of school. I’m probably going to do it next year because it was really fun.”

In the end, the event was a great time for students to finish up the month of writing with one last word while also spending time with friends and celebrating their well-earned accomplishments.