MUSE, HOSA Volunteer to Spread Christmas Cheer

• The flute section in MUSE pose for a picture at the end of the event wearing festive hats.

Picture Credits to MUSE
  • Elaine Chen ’21, Sanjana Kumar ’21, and Arti Madan ’21 play a holiday piece on their flutes.

• Linsy Stephen ’22 and other HOSA students paint the windows at the retirement home.

• Connie Huang ’21, Elaine Chen ’21, and Srilekha Cherukuvada ’21 pose for a picture after their performance.

Students from MUSE and HOSA teamed up to volunteer at the Renaissance Retirement Home from 12-3:00 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 1. Students in MUSE performed Christmas pieces while HOSA students painted holiday decorations on the windows.

“We’re really grateful to have this opportunity to perform for all of the residents here,” Sanjana Kumar ‘21 said. “We really want to spread our love of music to them and by performing we believe that we can convey positive thoughts. It helps us express ourselves and it helps others have more happiness in their lives.”

The musicians from MUSE signed up for 30 minute slots a week prior to the performance. Once the first group arrived, they set up their stands in the dining area. Students performed festive tunes throughout the three hours, including an alternate version of Jingle Bells and O Christmas Tree.

“I think it’s a wonderful opportunity to be able to come here and play for all of these great people,” Arti Madan ‘21 said. “It’s a performance opportunity, as well as a time to learn and grow as a musician. It’s been a lot of fun.”

As students performed, many people came up to give thanks and compliments to the performers. One person in particular stood out. Marilyn Wilson, a 94 year-old woman who lived in the retirement home, used to play the flute in a New York orchestra and performed on NBC. She praised and commended the students for their high level of musicality and hard work.

“I think the students are doing what’s fun,” Ms. Wilson said. “There’s some wonderful music for flutes and I think it’s really fun that young people get to learn this. If you quit it’s very hard to go back. So, don’t quit; find a group to play in, like this.”

Meanwhile, HOSA students also signed in and started decorating the windows with holiday designs, including Westwood signs and decorative symbols, like Christmas trees and santa hats.

“I think it’s great that we’re able to help everyone decorate and have festive music,” Linsy Stephen ‘22 said. “The music was really good and I really enjoyed it. Being able to liven up these people’s lives is really special.”

The next MUSE event will be this Sunday, Dec. 9 at the Domain, where band students will perform Christmas music in solos, small ensembles, and big groups.