UT Speakers Hold ‘Stop the Bleed’ Event

• Students listen closely to the lecture.

• Elva Ye talks about the basics of stopping wounds from bleeding.

• Students raise their hands to answer questions.

• Students wait in line to try out wound packing with a dummy arm.

• Elva Ye answers questions about how to stop bleeding.

• Elva Ye helps students with their tourniquets.

• Students practice fastening tourniquets on each other.

• The speaker demonstrates how to use a tourniquet.

Students attended an information session on stopping patients from bleeding out held by representatives from the University of Texas on Tuesday, Jan. 29. The session was coordinated by the Health Science Academy Ambassadors in the Great Room.

“We were planning on doing an event that would allow people to have a beneficial skill that they could use throughout their lives in the medical field especially,” Harini Venkoba Rao ‘20 said. “I think this event was really important because it gave students a more hands-on experience. While we do have things like that in class, this is very life-like rather than simulations.”

Two instructors gave a presentation on how to successfully stop a bleeding patient from bleeding out. Tourniquets and other equipment were set up for students to practice their skills on, as well as a plastic leg which was used to demonstrate how to pack. The instructors also explained how they were attempting to bring more awareness to bystanders on how to stop the bleed, as well as integrate bleeding kits into different schools in the community.

“I really loved the presentation today,” Uma Nair ‘21 said. “The teachers were amazing and very enthusiastic about what they were doing. I feel very prepared and am actually going to try to get a tourniquet and gauze just in case. I really appreciate having this opportunity to learn about this.”

Students practiced on partners with tourniquets and learned how to properly use gauze in a difficult situation. Different techniques and unique situations were presented to students to fully understand how to stop a patient from bleeding out. 

“The event was really informational,” Divya Chhotani ‘20 said. “I’ve been meaning to learn about this because it would help you with high risk situations. It can be really easy to utilize these skills and it’s beneficial for the long run.”