Westwood Horizon

Students Volunteer at Indian Classical Music Circle of Austin

By Srilekha Cherukuvada and Nivrithi Kuttuva

Students volunteered at the Indian Classical Music Circle of Austin (ICMCA), a non-profit organization supporting music lovers in Austin highlighting Indian dance and music, on Saturday, March 9. The concert featured Anoushka Shankar on the sitar with accompanists, and took place at the Riverbend Center with the nearby church also providing the organization with ushers.

“I have been volunteering for ICMCA concerts for two or three years,” Ruhin Homchowdhury ‘19 said. “Volunteering has taught me many skills, such as how to get my ideas across clearly so that people will be able to follow my directions.”

Most of the students volunteering came from the Outreach club, where different volunteer opportunities are given to the members. Students led the attendees into the auditorium and guided them to their respective seats. Many of the volunteers gained positive experiences while devoting their time and effort to this event.

“I had a great time volunteering at the concert and I had fun helping out the attendees,” Elin Park ‘21 said. “Overall, it was a fulfilling experience and it was good. I really enjoyed being able to talk and help different people and watching the concert at the end was really cool too.”

For the next ICMCA concert, Hindustani Vocalist Begum Parveen Sultana will be performing on Saturday, April 6, at the Austin ISD Performing Arts Center.

About the Writer
Srilekha Cherukuvada, Heritage Copy Editor, Horizon Weekly Editor
This is my first year on student press and my third year of taking journalism. I love to write, read, eat, sleep, and procrastinate. I’m in DECA, FBLA, and I play the flute in band. I am also a part of Outreach, Days For Girls, French Club, NFHS, and a writer and editor for Lune Magazine. In my spare time, I like to listen to music, watch youtube, and spend time with my family.