Students Celebrate Their Academic Achievements

• Hart Black ’21, sophomore StuCo class president, gives a speech near the end of the ceremony.

• Hart Black ’21 gets his picture taken.

• A junior poses with the patch she received.

• Students stand in a line before their names are announced.

• A student poses for a picture with the principal.

• The table with the awards.

• Students wait to receive their awards.

• Parents watch as their students go to receive their award.

On Thursday, April 25, proud parents and students gathered in the Big Gym to celebrate their academic achievements in achieving a 4.0 average in the first semester. The event was for underclassmen and juniors, with seniors already having their grades frozen.

Before the ceremony began, some students from the Westwood Orchestra performed to set the mood. Following the presentation of colors from Westwood’s AFJROTC, all students and parents rose for the national anthem, sung by Sarah Sherwood ‘20. Junior Class President Alice Zhang spoke for the introductions for the ceremony ending with Principal Mario Acosta welcoming the parents.

“I thought it was a nice introduction into public speaking in front of larger crowds. The academic awards ceremony is important to me because I think it’s really good to recognize and celebrate students for their academic achievements,” Zhang said. “Education is important and this ceremony reinforces that.”

The presentation of awards started with Ms. Misty Matthews and Ms. Jennifer Melgar reading the names for freshmen, Ms. Milybett Llanos-Gremillion for sophomores, and Mr. Steve Tysor for juniors. After each name was called, the students proceeded to take a picture with Principal  Acosta and receive a gift for their achievement.

“I was very excited to walk across the stage and get a Westwood keychain,” Darya Mohajeri ‘21 said. “I felt proud of myself and my fellow classmates that we earned the academic award.”

Sophomore Class President Hart Black closed the ceremony, and the Westwood Choir sang the Alma Mater as parents and their students left the building. This event was a way to recognize the student’s hard work, their achievements academically, and give them the confidence to end their school year with a high note.