The student news site of Westwood High School.

Westwood Horizon

Westwood Horizon

Westwood Horizon

Top (Realistic) Things to do in Summer

Although there are plenty of things that may seem exciting to do, I am often too lazy to put in the effort it would take to do those things. Here is a list of things you can do fairly simply in town:

1. Blast your favorite music and take some time to clean or organize your room. (Or sing and dance obnoxiously, if nobody else is home). A newly clean room will leave you feeling refreshed and accomplished. Plus, you might even find an old toy or something you’ve been looking for.
  2. After cleaning out your room, you might’ve found some items laying around that you want to throw out. But before you toss them away, try a quick internet search for possible DIY projects with your old clothes. Old t-shirts can be repurposed into bracelets, tote bags, dog toys, rugs, and many more things. http://www.buzzfeed.com/sewstacie/39-ways-to-reuse-restyle-and-rewear-your-old-t-s-9gri
  3. Grab some fresh fruit, ice, and milk to make yourself a fruit smoothie. Many recipes can be found online for simple smoothies or popsicles. Blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries are all in season during the summer so they will be really fresh. http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/302979/file-1009121398-jpg/images/smoothie.jpg
  4. Curl up in bed and read a book. Make yourself a little fort with some blankets and pillows or head outside and enjoy some fresh air. Let yourself fall into another world as you read about adventures, mysteries, or romance. http://thinkpyxl.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Books.jpg
  5. Gather your friends for a nice day inside watching movies. Films are great to pass the time and you can stay inside since it gets really hot in Texas. Whether it is marathoning all the Harry Potter movies, crying with a tub of ice cream over Hallmark romances, or being mesmerized by intense action movies, you are sure to have a great time.
  6. Trying to escape the heat? Do something with water to help you cool off. You can go to the pool, go tubing down the river, or make a trip to Schlitterbahn or another water park. If you don’t have transportation somewhere, you can always fill some water balloons and play a game with friends.
  7. If you’re up for an adventure, go downtown for beautiful scenery as you hike, bike, or canoe. Lake Austin has great trails, and places you can rent canoes or kayaks. Zilker Park has wide open lawns where you can bring your dog, toss a frisbee with friends, or start a volleyball or soccer game.
  8. This one may take a little bit more effort, but it’s worth it. Round up a few friends and take a short road trip. It can just be a day trip to go antique shopping in Fredericksburg or gorge on BBQ in Lockhart. Getting out of town for a little bit can help relieve your boredom. And of course, you can jam out to lots of great music on the car ride there.
  9. Austin is a great place to explore and attend events. If you haven’t been to see the Congress bats, McKinney Falls State Park, or the Broken Spoke, take a trip to see all the tourist places in Austin. Be sure to look and see if there are any free events going on, since there are often free or discounted festivals and concerts during the summer. http://www.austintexas.org/visit/events/june-july/

And of course, if you just want to relax during your break, you can always default to the basic summer things: catch up on your T.V. shows, get some extra sleep, play video games, or whatever else you like to do in your free time.