Latin Students Compete at Texas State Junior Classical League Convention

Latin students competed in the Texas State Junior Classical League Area F convention at Rouse High School on Feb. 19-20. Of the 500 latin students who attended, the Westwood students and teams excelled above others, with students placing highly in their individual categories, and   a team advancing to state.

On Friday night, three Westwood teams competed in the certamen, a game where students try to quickly recall facts on classical civilization, including information about the people, languages, and cultures at the time. The advanced and intermediate teams both did extremely well, with the advanced team just barely missing advancing to the finals. Vivian Tran ‘19, James Lemuel ‘19, and Christian Jocson ‘19, members of the novice team, were successful in their event and placed in the top three slots, advancing to finals.

“I think that we did really well, considering that the other team’s skills were very good,” Vivian Tran ‘19 said. “Although this was my first time competing at the competition, I was satisfied with the results.”

The following day, the novice team attended the intense finals round in the Rouse auditorium. The team led throughout the entire round, successfully winning the Area Certamen Championship. They will later compete in the state competition in April against other novice level winners.

“I’m really excited, and we have a big competition to look forward to,” James Lemuel ‘19 said.

In addition to the success of the teams, students also did well in their individual categories. Overall, students had fun at a great and exciting experience

“I got to have a lot fun with my friends,” Lionel Page ‘19. “We got to do all sorts of stuff, and I got to connect more.”

Academic Pentathlon

First Place:

James Lemuel ‘19

Christian Jocson ‘19

Lionel Page ‘19

Matthew Frizzel ‘17

Second Place:

Zoe Rowe ‘18

Rithika Prakash ‘18

Aneesh Thallapureddy ‘18

Anna Hagen ‘18

Third Place:

Sam Brocato ‘18

Classical Mythology

Second Place:

Naveen Rajan ‘18

Third Place:

James Lemuel ‘19

Roman History

Third Place:

Christian Jocson ‘19

Spencer Rhea ‘16

Ancient Geography

Second Place:

Spencer Rhea ‘16

Academic Decathlon

First Place:

Matthew Frizzel ‘17

Advanced Reading

Second Place:

Matthew Frizzel ‘17

Couples’ Coustume

Second Place:

Zoe Rowe ‘18

Megan Bruce ‘18

Olympika 400m Relay

Second Place:

Lionel Page ‘19

Matthew Frizzel ‘18

Patrick Reed ‘17

Jorge Abreu ‘16

Olympika Boys 100m

Third Place:

Spencer Rhea ‘16

Olympika Girls 200m

Third Place:

Ryan Belle ‘16