Westwood Horizon

Varsity Boys’ Basketball Defeats Pflugerville 53-51

By Sathvik Allala, Social Media Editor

Patrick Sladek '19 warms up before the game.

During a riveting game against the Pflugerville Panthers, the varsity boys’ basketball team rose to the occasion and defeated their opponents in a close match 53-51. As the Panthers were a competitive team, the audience fell captive to the thrilling twists and turns the game had to offer, on Friday Feb. 9.

“Before the game, I knew how competitive the game would be, especially at their home court,” Christian Robinson ’20 said. “We would need to play a great game [in order] to win the game.”

The Warriors’ offensive instincts landed them in awkward situations where the use of defense was crucial. This led to them giving easy point opportunities to the Panthers, diminishing the Warriors’ slight lead.

“Our general dynamic was to play our offense, to execute the plays, and to never let up on defense because if we slacked off for a slight bit they were going to hit shots,” Robinson said.

With increased energy and involvement in the game, the Warriors utilized every basket and steal to gain an advantage in the last quarter. Despite the pressure from the audience and the intensity of the game, the Warriors crammed in crucial baskets and defense in the little time available, to beat the Panthers by one hoop.

“Although [they] took the lead towards the end, we were able to [stay] focused and not let the pressure affect our play,” Robinson said. “Patrick hit a clutch three at the end and we hit free throws when we needed to.”

About the Writer
Sathvik Allala, Social Media Editor

Hello! This year is my second year being a part of Westwood Student Press and I absolutely love it! When...