Westwood Horizon

Varsity Girls’ Soccer Named Area Champions in Double-Overtime Thriller

By Kate Connors, Social Media Director

Photo by Jaikem Murphy
Leah Martinez '19 sends the ball into play from the corner.

On Tuesday, April 3, the Lady Warriors traveled to Giddings to take on the Klein Bearkats for the area playoff game. The two teams were eager to clinch the title of area champions as the game went into double overtime. The Lady Warriors maintained steady defense and built up their attacks well, winning in the final seconds 1-0.

The Lady Warriors started out strong by pressuring the Bearkats’ defense and taking multiple shots as they held their possession of the ball for the majority of the first half. The Bearkats were only able to shoot three times in this half, but none were successful due to saves by goalkeeper Maddie Broadbent ‘21. The teams continued to fight for the following half and into two overtimes as neither team was able to score. It was not until the last 34 seconds of double overtime till Madison Larrea ‘19 scored the game winning goal off of a cross from Olivia Graves ‘18.

“It was the last 34 seconds, I was already starting to mentally prepare for how PKs [penalty kicks] were going to go,” Broadbent said. “I just saw the ball go into the back of the net, and all the other girls from the other team started freaking out. I found out that it was [Larrea] who scored, and I was so excited. The other goalie was actually megged for the goal; it was pretty great.”

The Lady Warriors will continue their playoff journey as they take on Houston Memorial at Texas A&M Consolidated High School on Friday, April 6 starting at 5 p.m..

About the Writer
Kate Connors, Social Media Director
Hey! My name is Kate and I am in the class of 2018. (SENIOR YEAR!!) This is my second year in student press and I am still loving it! I am a sports photographer/writer and the social media director. I also like taking pictures of my friends and pretty sunsets, but mainly dogs. Dogs occupy the majority of my thoughts because they are amazing animals. I enjoy being with my amazing friends, watching whole Netflix series in a week, and singing to Disney songs in the car. #gowood!!