Westwood Horizon

Attempted Robbery Spurs Increased Security Measures

Back to Article
Back to Article

The attempted robbery took place on the Hymeadow side of campus.

Lizzie Deal

Lizzie Deal

Lizzie Deal

By Lizzie Deal, Managing Editor

At around midnight on Feb. 5, a custodian leaving campus after the conclusion of the night shift was the victim of an attempted robbery on the Hymeadow side of campus. Reportedly, a man tried to grab her bag and then ran off. The incident has been handed off to the authorities for further investigation.

While the administration believes this to be an isolated incident, as a precaution, the Austin Police Department and Williamson County Sheriff’s Office have both increased their evening patrols of the area.The school has also reached out to the district to ensure that all lights and security cameras are working.

“There are students here late at night regularly for activities and the same with teachers, so we’re just telling folks to be aware of your surroundings — if at all possible, stay in groups, stay in pairs,” Principal Mario Acosta said. “I don’t think we have a crime wave or anything going on; I don’t think there’s any need for us to sound any kind of panic alarms. It’s just another reminder to be vigilant, be mindful of your surroundings, especially at night.”

The school is currently examining other protocols that can be used to ensure the safety of its staff and students alike. Students and faculty leaving campus late at night are advised to do so with caution, and the policy for organized after school activities remains that a staff member such as a coach, teacher, or administrator must be present until every participating student has left.

“As principal, the safety of our students and staff is my highest priority,” Principal Acosta said in the statement released to students, parents, and staff regarding the incident. “I will continue to work with district leadership and local law enforcement to keep our school as safe as possible.”

About the Contributor
Lizzie Deal, Managing Editor

When I'm not writing articles, I am usually found playing soccer, listening to music, and watching my...