JV Orange Boys’ Soccer Ties McNeil Mavericks 0-0

Navigate Left
Navigate Right
  • Daniel Brown ’21 moves to steal the ball from an opposing McNeil player.

  • While avoiding an oncoming McNeil player, Santiago Blanco ’21 passes the ball up the sideline.

  • Yash Kakkad ’21 kicks the ball behind his back to a teammate.

  • Garner Thomas ’21 dribbles the ball up the sideline.

  • Max Wiele ’21 jumps up to bring his foot to the ball.

  • Following a save, goalie Emilio Penny ’20 punts the ball.

  • Max Wiele ’21 looks to pass to a teammate upfield.

  • Santiago Blanco ’21 dribbles the ball to protect it from being stolen.

  • Victor Chavez ’21 kicks the ball away from an oncoming McNeil player.

  • Max Wiele ’21 jumps up to head the ball.

Navigate Left
Navigate Right

On Tuesday, Feb. 26, the Warriors took on the McNeil Mavericks and played until the time ran out, ending with a final score of 0-0.

Starting off the first half with a bang, Aarif Ahmad ‘20 stayed on a Maverick player until he had the opportunity to pass to Garner Thomas ‘21, who strived for a header. Following the attempt, Thomas made another shot on goal, but the Maverick goalie saved it from going in. Shortly after, Victor Chavez ‘21 took a field kick near the goal and got close to scoring, but it was saved. The Mavericks had a few shots on goal as well, but all were saved by Emilio Penny ‘20.

“[It was a] hard fought game by both teams,” Coach Devin Hughes said. “Sometimes you just run out of time. The effort and intensity was there for 70 minutes and they did a great job controlling the first half.”

Throughout the second half, the ball went from goal to goal, but not many attempted shots were made. Max Wiele ‘21 and Ben Le ‘21 made great passes and did everything to keep the ball away from the Mavericks. Captains Victor Brown ‘21 and Daniel Brown ‘21 defended the goal to help Penny when the Mavericks came close to shooting. Chavez took a field kick, but missed as the buzzer rang to signal the end of the game.

“We were switching the ball a lot and completing a lot of passes,” D. Brown said. ‘We played a much better soccer game than we have previously, and we just got to keep it up.”

Catch the boys at their next game on Tuesday, March 5 at Vandegrift High School against the Vandegrift Vipers.