Library of Congress Faces Bomb Threat

The+Library+of+Congress+recieved+a+bomb+threat+on+Thursday%2C+Aug.+19+from+a+49-year-old+man+inside+his+truck.+Photo+courtesy+of+NCinDC.

Photo By NCinDC

The Library of Congress recieved a bomb threat on Thursday, Aug. 19 from a 49-year-old man inside his truck. Photo courtesy of NCinDC.

By Amy Simon, Opinions Editor

The Library of Congress received a bomb threat on Thursday, Aug. 19. The threat was reportedly sent from a truck located nearby the U.S. Capitol. As a result, the Capitol, as well as nearby buildings, were evacuated. Law enforcement immediately arrived at the scene.

“Around 9:15 A.M. this morning, a man in a black pickup truck drove onto the sidewalk in front of the Library of Congress near First and Independence Southeast,” U.S. Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger said in a press release. “We responded to a disturbance call. The driver of the truck told the responding officer on the scene that he had a bomb and what appeared to be a detonator in the man’s hand. So we immediately evacuated the nearby buildings.”

The police have identified 49-year-old Floyd Ray Roseberry as the suspect. Roseberry had a history of supporting former Republican president Donald Trump and was arrested after a standoff near the U.S. Capitol. The police believe that the insurrection at the U.S. Capital on Thursday, Jan. 6 could possibly be related to the bomb threat. At the standoff, he claimed to be carrying an explosive device. In addition, Roseberry had been live streaming on Facebook at the scene. He showed himself holding a canister which he told his audience was a bomb. The video and Roseberry’s Facebook account have currently been deleted.

Later on, the police said in a press release that there was no bomb in Roseberry’s truck. However, they believe they have found suspected bomb-making material. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission Chief Tom Manger told reporters that authorities have not yet determined if Roseberry worked alone or with a team.

“The vehicle related to the active bomb threat near the library of Congress has been cleared,” the D.C. Police Department said on Twitter. “Road closures that were in place have now been lifted. Residents may return to their homes. Thank you all for your patience during this critical incident.”

The U.S. Capitol Police is currently working with the FBI Washington Field Office to review Roseberry’s background and motive. In addition, they are working closely with the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia to determine the charges. For more information and possible updates, visit the U.S. Capitol Police Twitter here.

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email